Saturday, January 8, 2011

tea time

This girl, right here (thumbs pointing back at me), is living proof that people can change.

Remember when I used to be a coke fiend? I mean, the soda, not the drug. I used to drink that stuff like it was water.

And then a few years ago I switched to diet coke, which I didn't think would ever happen. A friend told me just to try it (and only it) for two weeks. By the end of the two weeks I didn't want to switch back to coke.

I'm not a coffee person, so I would get up in the morning and drink a diet coke instead. Ahhhh, the perfect way to start your day!

Every now and then I would take a break from drinking diet coke so that my tolerance would go down and it would be much more effective when I started drinking it again.

And then, with the prodding/naggging/guilt tripping of a friend, I decided, "Hey, why not just give it up?"

That idea isn't so mind blowing. What is mind blowing is that I actually did it. Just gave it up cold turkey. Haven't had a diet coke in weeks, if not months. Not even during the holidays. Not even when I was hung over. Not even when I was eating Mexican food.

Now I'm onto green tea. And it has really sort of changed my morning routine. Slowed things down a bit.

It obviously takes a bit longer to make than soda. I have to heat up the water and let it brew, not just snap open a can.

But because it is hot, I also can't just chug it down. I sit there and enjoy it. I let the cup warm my hands. I inhale the sweet aroma. I feel the steam on my face. Now, it's an experience.

There's just something so damn peaceful about a cup of tea in the morning.

It makes me happy.

Yet, if you had told me even four months ago that I would give up soda and become a tea drinker, I wouldn't have believed you.

I wonder what other little changes I can make.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. I don't drink soda at all. Well, maybe once or twice a month mixed with alcohol. But I do love my Folger's (just one cup a day). I don't think it's so much about the caffeine for me, as it is for the taste. But you're right, the small changes add up to some big stuff, friend.

    ReplyDelete