Wednesday, July 15, 2009

what I learned today...

I went to the Field Museum today. I love that place. Situated right on the lake with a gorgeous view of the skyline. Filled with dinosaur bones and mummies, it never fails to delight. I was a little appalled by the wild children running amok, crossing barriers and pawing the displays while their parents did nothing to stop them, but that's neither here nor there.

I saw two exhibits today, one about water and the other a photo exhibit about Freedom rides and overcoming segregation. That was more than enough for one day. The joy of being a member is you don't have to try and see the whole museum in one visit!

There is always way more information than I can process at one time but I did come away with two interesting new tidbits of information.

1) In Africa, where they don't have normal pipes and plumbing like we do, they've come up with this really awesome thing called a Play Pump to get clean water into their pipes.

Basically it is a merry-go-round type ride, in some ways similar to the really dangerous, metal round things that spun on the playground that we had as kids that would inevitably start spinning way too fast and you had to hold on for dear life or the centrifugal force would send you sailing onto the concrete. Theirs are more elevated, but the kids play on them and as they spin it round and round the force generated brings up water and pumps it into a water tank high about the ground. It's frickin' brilliant!

Check it out: www.playpumps.org

2) Snow is formed when water goes from a gas form to a solid form, skipping the liquid form.

Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment