Monday, July 6, 2009

are you special?

Do you think you are special?

Maybe I am just lucky to be surrounded by really amazing people but I wouldn't describe any of my friends as just a normal person.

I've always believed that everyone in their hearts thinks that they are truly special and different. Maybe I am completely wrong about that.

I got a friend request from someone on Facebook that I didn't know. So I looked at their info and in their "about me" column they had written "I'm just a regular guy, no bells and whistles."

Really? Perhaps it is because I really am different but I would never describe myself that way. Nor would I want to. Again, what's the fun in being normal?

Which made me think about why someone would want to be "a regular guy." Well, it can feel good to fit in. It means that you have things (beliefs, activities, etc) in common with lots of other people. Especially if you were ever ostracized before, being accepted and fitting in could be ideal. And it can be a much more succinct description for a guy rather than saying, "I like cars and sports and beer and boobs, etc."

Yet I think every person, especially the more you get to know them, is special. So that even if they are doing "normal" things with their life it doesn't make them any less special.

On a sort of related note, I have heard that when asked to rate their appearance on a scale of 1 to 10, that over 75 percent of the population will rank themselves as a 7 or 8. How would you rank yourself?

I'd probably give myself a 7 or 8. Anyways, this means that most of the population thinks that they look above average. Which ties in with my belief that I thought that everybody sees themselves as being better than average.

No comments:

Post a Comment