I've figured it out. I know how to make the workforce in America both more productive AND happier.
Give them tips!
Not tips as in advice, but actual money.
There is never a day when I don't give 100% at my job. How many people can say that? But the amount of money I make is directly related to the quality of work I do. I work entirely on commission which means that I only make money when I am giving massages, so I try to make every client love their treatment so that they will come back. The other reason I work so hard is because the better I am, the more the client enjoys the massage, the bigger the tip I'll get.
There is something immensely satisfying about going to the tip jar at the end of the day and getting cash money for the work that you did.
Now I know that people get bonuses in their paychecks and things, and that IS a good incentive, but I still think tips are better.
Can you imagine? "That was a great report you typed up, here's $20!" Or "thanks for sending out that email, here's $5." If we gave people slightly lower base salaries and then rewarded them with cash tips for doing good work, well I doubt people would spend so much time on Facebook or on the phone when they were supposed to be working!
Giving tips is giving positive, immediate feedback. People will feel like the work they do does matter and that will make them happier. Plus having a pocketful of cash will also make them happier.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment