You are probably wondering what it is like to take a writing class with your favorite author. Well, let me tell you, it's AWESOME!!!
Orson Scott Card is my favorite author. While known mainly for his sci-fi and fantasy he also has written thrillers and horror and historical fiction.
I knew he was a Mormon but didn't know what to expect. And he was exactly what I expected and nothing like I expected. He is OPINIONATED! Not all of which I agree with, but most I do. He talked about how being an English major in college will not help you be a writer. English classes teach you how to dissect literature, to look for symbolism and foreshadowing. It doesn't teach you how to write.
He spent the class teaching us how to write. And how to be marketable. You want to write in present tense? Go ahead, but realize that most best selling authors are set in past tense.
How much better is it to be taught writing by a best selling author whose works you love than by my former writing teachers who have never been published or published only in New Zealand? I'm much more willing to believe him than them. Plus he is telling me the things that I WANT to hear. You DON'T have to start a story in the middle of an action shot. You don't have to give elaborate descriptions of your characters.
The things he said just made sense. I like sense.
Plus he is a decent human being. A real person.
The writing class was wonderful. Spending time with my mom on the way there and back was wonderful. Surrounding myself with fellow fantasy and sci-fi nerds was wonderful. All in all, a wonderful trip.
Glad to be back home and ready to write!
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment