Tuesday, August 16, 2011

typos

Yes, I'm an English nerd. Yes, I notice typos and misspellings everywhere. Most of the time I get mildly annoyed by them but nothing major. But I love when the typo changes the meaning of a sentence without the author realizing it.

There are many, many great examples on Facebook.

http://www.happyplace.com/3645/the-best-obnoxious-responses-to-misspellings-on-facebook

But you can also find them in real life. I was looking at my client's intake form the other day at work and it asked her how she heard about our spa. Most people will put down "from a friend" or "thru yelp." We make our clients fill out a new form every few years and so they don't always remember how they originally heard about it.

My client put down "I've been coming here for ions."

Really? I didn't even know that we carried ions at the spa!

It's such a tiny typo, but makes such a big change in the sentence! That's why English is so much fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment