Monday, November 16, 2009

nostalgic workout world

So you know how there is a problem with childhood obesity these days? In large part because children like to sit around and watch TV and play video games? Well it got me thinking about the things that I used to do as a kid. There was a lot of running around and some of the things we did were pretty physically challenging. In fact, I'd be pretty exhausted if I did all the things that I used to do as a kid.

Which brought me to my brilliant brainstorm. Do you remember pogo sticks? Sure. What about pogo balls? It was a ball that had a platform around the middle that you had to stand on and then squeeze the ball between your feet and jump up and down. Um, that's hard. But I'm guessing it is an awesome workout! And fun. So we should make an aerobics class using them!

Then I had an even better idea. We could make a whole gym out of our old toys. I already take hula hoop classes. There could be jump rope classes, but instead of regular jump ropes you could also do double dutch or chinese jump rope. I suggested having Big Wheel races. My sister suggested just regular relay races where you do things like the wheelbarrow, or hop in a potato sack. There could be a rollerskating rink included in it. And instead of weights there could just be really heavy tinker toys/ connect-a-sets.

I think it is a fun idea but I'm not sure it would catch on. It made me think though that parents should go outside and play with their kids. Counts as family time AND work out time!

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty much the only workout I get anymore - playing soccer with my kids and the others in the neighborhood - lifting them and carrying them around while running, etc. It's really fun!

    And I would totally join that gym.

    ReplyDelete