This past weekend was my parents' 50th wedding anniversary party.
50 friggin' years.
I've only been married to Mike for two years and already we have so many memories and experiences together. Can you imagine what you have shared and lived through by the time you get to fifty??
My dad wanted a party. My mom hates parties.
We compromised by having a "simple" backyard BBQ.
Except we never have a simple backyard BBQ.
We did skip the bouncy room and dunk tank this time around but we did get an ice cream cart (stocked to the gills!) and a popcorn machine (which Brian already had expert knowledge of since he is in charge of that for their church fundraisers) and a pretzel warmer and hotdog and bun steamer (just like at the ballpark!)
All of my nephews and nieces were in town. And let me tell you something. Kids are really weird. I mean, the stuff that comes out of their mouths. So weird.
But it totally changes the energy when you have kids around vs just adults.
I overhead someone at the party say that only 5% of all married couple reach the 50 year anniversary mark. Mike and I both have parents who have reached that mark. I'd be lying if I said that didn't affect me. Would I have this stupid plucky optimism that I have about love if my parents weren't still married? Probably not.
I don't often think about what my parents have taught me about marriage. Rather I think about what they taught me about family. We certainly don't have the same views on everything but that doesn't matter. Family is about showing up and supporting each other. And we manage to have a fair bit of fun together too.

No comments:
Post a Comment