I'm thoroughly (you break that up and it is Tho Roughly) enjoying my bookclub book which is great because I just started it today (yes, we had five weeks to read it!) and I have to have it done by Friday. It's called The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland and there was a section that talked about looking at people not for the traits they possess but for the traits they don't possess.
And Kyle said to me, "I saw this show on the Discovery Channel, and it said that beauty isn't only about the traits you possess, it's also about the traits you don't possess." He then said, "You're really beautiful, Bethany, because there are so many bad traits a lot of girls have and you don't have any of them."
I asked him, "Like what?"
"You're not greedy. And you don't plot or scheme, and you don't go all slutty or manipulative if you don't get what you want."
I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything, but I've been floating ever since.
It's always good to have a fresh new way of looking at things. And the "be thankful for what you don't have" thing has always worked wonders for me.
I don't have bells palsy, or a hare lip, and I only have five pimples on my face right now. I'm doing pretty damn well, thank you very much!
I don't molest children, do hardcore drugs, rob banks. Really, I'm a pretty good person. Whoops, I guess I'm not modest. Shoot, I was doing so well.
The whole concept is not a new one, however. When I was in the Pyramid at the Field Museum last week there was a section that talked about how the ancient Egyptians when they died would have to go basically stand trial for their lives and recite this whole list of things that they did NOT do to prove that they were a good person. Things like, "I did not kill anyone. I did not drink wine that belonged to the gods."
As for me... I did not waste the ENTIRE day doing nothing. I did not forget about my wonderful blog readers. I did not take my poo and fling it at passerbys like a caged monkey. (yes, random example, but I did NOT do it so it still counts.)
Sometimes when Mike comes home and we talk about what we did with our days it can be a little boring (I mean, all of our conversations are WONDERFUL obviously but still, our days are not always that exciting.) From now on if my day was a little boring and I don't have much to report, perhaps I will tell him what I did NOT do that day instead of what I did do. So many more possibilities.
No comments:
Post a Comment