There are lots of things that make us feel good. Buying an awesome new outfit that makes us look and feel hot? Definitely. But then you feel guilty about spending the money on it. Eating a delicious meal? Sure, but then you worry about the calories.
But little acts that we get nothing out of except for a good feeling? Those are the best!
I was walking home from the el today and I spotted a dog wandering by herself along the street. There were no humans in sight so I bent down and called the dog to me and petted her for a bit and finally was able to read her dog tags. She lived only a few doors away so I grabbed her collar and walked her home. I rang the bell and knelt down and continued to pet the doggie while keeping one hand on her collar. The woman who lived there finally answered the door. She was on the phone and was looking upset. She saw her dog and smiled so big and thanked me for "rescuing her dog!"
It took very little effort on my part but I was just glowing with happiness the rest of the way home.
I don't think this is a feeling unique to me. Which makes me beg the question... why aren't we out looking for more nice things that we can do to help people? Don't we all want to have this glowy, happy feeling?
I love this! Thank you for doing that for her. I can only imagine how happy she was and how sad and distraught she felt before you came. :)
ReplyDeleteA LOT of people are very, very wrapped up into their very, very important and super, super busy lives, a little too much to stop and look around and see the opportunities that are waiting for them to take. Chances to do the little things that make all the difference....
Thank you for the continued inspiration!
Such a small thing you did, but it reaped such incredible rewards. Too few people look outside of themselves and put the effort forward that you did.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very happy that you are in my life...thanks to the lovely and beautiful EmKDee1 and EmKdee2. Your goodness and generosity shines through daily. I'm always giddy to experience it.