Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

HAppy New Year!

Yay! Another successful holiday season come and gone. And I got to spend it with my family. I love Mike's family but it was going to be very hard for me to not be with my family for the holidays and luckily I did not have to be.

And Mike was a trooper. It can be exhausting hanging out with someone else's family for a few days straight and he did not complain at all. Though if it is tiring for Mike, I can only imagine how exhausting it must be for Bella. Who is Bella, you ask? Why, she is the Chinese foreign exchange student who is now living with my sister and her family. Chestra found out on THURSDAY that Bella was arriving on FRIDAY!!! So poor Bella's first week was spent with 23 members of my family!

That girl is awesome though. She is 17, a junior in high school I think, and speaks English pretty well. And she just rolls with it. So far she has already experienced bowling, a 7th grade basketball game, fondue, a belated Christmas celebration and a New Year's celebration. Not bad for one week! She also apparently went shopping with my sister and was very impressed by the DSW shoe warehouse.

It has to be crazy for her, especially being from China where you can only have one or two kids, to suddenly be around my huge family. On the plus side, it is going to seem very calm at my sister's house now that we are all gone!

I'm going to post on this blog more often and I find that including pictures (and taking more pictures so that I have pictures to include) makes it easier to blog.

I am going to start a new feature called "The week in review."

Here we go...

The week in review...
  

I went to one of my favorite friend's (Kelly G.) wedding on the 29th. It was at an Irish bar and the whole thing was Irish themed and it was AWESOME! She has a big, crazy family just like me, only hers happens to be Irish so they are even crazier. Our name cards for our tables all had either "O'" or "Mc" before our last names. So I was Nikki O'Becker and Mike was Michael McCarroll. It was very cute. 





When we were in Detroit we kept the family tradition of going bowling on New Year's Eve alive. 

It was Bella's first time bowling and she did fairly well. Didn't break 100 but got a few strikes. 



I, however, had the best game of my life with a 199. Including a turkey at the end. My brothers, who normally bowl between 120 and 150 had horrible games that game so that I actually got to say that I doubled their scores! 



Another holiday tradition is doing puzzles, this was actually two puzzles in the same box with all the pieces mixed together and it came with a murder mystery story that you had to solve. 





We went to my nephew Tom's basketball game where I learned to "ride the rollercoaster." Apparently this is a thing. I'd never heard of it. But someone goes in front of the group and leads you. You strap on your harness and then climb to the top of the hill then turn left and right and up and down in unison. Very silly and very fun. These young kids, what will they think of next?


Then, back at home, we have a rubber ducky nativity scene. I switched the baby Jesus with the little lamb so that Mary and Joseph were watching over the lamb instead. Mike obviously found it and added this note to it- "Mary had a little lamb, It's fleece was white as Joe."

And there you have it. My week in review. 




No comments:

Post a Comment