Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Reunion was rejuvenating

I'm trying to think of a way to start this post and I don't even have words to describe how wonderful it was to be back at Carleton.

First of all, the campus is gorgeous. When I first came to Carleton (I didn't go there as a prospective student) my family drove to Cowling to meet up with my soccer team for pre-season. My very first view of Carleton was Bell Field and it was love at first sight. So having a dorm room for reunion that overlooked Bell Field was perfect.

I live in a pretty green section of Chicago but even with the park across the street, it is very residential. There is a huge difference between a park with some trees in it and a true forest and there is something just soothing to the soul to see so many trees together. Of course, I was pretty happy to get back to my city where we don't have all the crazy bugs that there are in Northfield but for a weekend it was awesome to be there.

But Carleton isn't about a place, it is about people. And the people who go there are pretty damn amazing. Part of it was being uber PMSy but I was almost brought to happy tears several times this weekend. Convocation was particularly touching. My favorite part was how the class of '61 and the class of 2011 got together to make a time capsule that the class of 2011 will open at their 50th reunion. Clever. Creative. Quirky. Carleton.

People don't really like small talk, but it is a necessary evil. The best part is when you finally get past the small talk and have a real conversation with people. That was what college was all about... the late night let it all hang out conversations. And we got to have some of those this weekend. Sitting in a dorm room, four people to a bed, drinking wine and laughing our asses off- that's what Carleton is all about.

Carleton is also a feeling. I expected to feel many things after being at Carleton this weekend... sad, happy, tired, nostalgic, hungover, intimidated, overwhelmed, embraced, emotional... what I didn't expect was the feeling I felt the most... INSPIRED!!!!

It was driving me crazy that I didn't have my computer with me because the creative juices were just flowing. And I wanted to be working on a million little projects.

My boyfriend hated his college experience, and from what he has said, I think I would have hated his college experience too! I feel unbelievably blessed that I found a place that worked for me. A place where I fit. A place that challenged and accepted me. Whether it be at a college, a job, a family or something else completely different- I hope everybody gets to experience that feeling. That's my wish for the world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment