Saturday, March 29, 2014

match.com revisited

Wanna hear something funny?

So back in the day I was on Match.com (what was that back in 2008 or 2009 or something?) and I wasn't planning on actually putting a profile up but was working on my profile and accidentally made it public and this guy responded- he was new in town and we ended up hanging out a couple of times just as friends.

And then of course in 2010 I put the profile up for real and I met Mike and the rest is history.

Here is what my profile looked like...


Nikki’s Match.com profile



About her and who she’s looking for:

I like to skydive nude.

Okay, not really. I’ve never been skydiving. Let alone naked. I went bungee jumping once but that was fully clothed. Admit it though, that first sentence got your attention. After a while these profiles can all start to sound the same.

I was reading through some of them and saw that people actually wrote “sarcasm” as a turn off! Really? I thought about putting it down as one of the languages I am fluent in.

Reading through the profiles also gave me a clearer picture of what I am looking for. For example, I tend to avoid profiles that are bitter sounding, i.e. “I’m sick and tired of games.” Or the ones that exaggerate their good qualities. You claim to be funny and clever and yet you don’t write a single funny or clever thing in your profile? Hmmm?

Yet as I sit here I realize how hard it is to come up with something clever or funny to write here. Maybe I am being a little too hard on those guys. How do you convey how totally awesome you are without sounding cocky and then explain, why, if you are so awesome, you are still single? 


Random? Yes, but a lot better than most of the profiles out there. Seriously, 95% of all the profiles say exactly the same thing.

Anywho, my friend is now on OKCupid and one of her "potential matches" that she gets sent daily had a profile that she just had to show me...


She said, "Oh my god, he put that he skydives naked as his first line too! What are the odds?!?"

Um, the odds are pretty good... considering that he is that guy that I hung out with back in 2009! The bastard stole my profile!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment