We're back! Sadly. I'm so very glad that we went on our quick little three and a half day vacation to Disney World and Universal Studios. It was just what we needed. It's hard to be back, especially since it is gray and miserable here in Chicago.
I don't know how normal people do Disney. I walk a ton. Over a mile each way to work. But I know a lot of people who don't. People who walk to their cars, drive to work and then walk inside. How on Earth do they survive Disney? Because you walk sooooo much there. I mean, miles upon miles upon miles. And I was so tired. A good tired. But tired. I think people should start training a few months before they go.
The other nice thing about Disney is that it is filled with shlubby Americans so you feel really attractive and put together when you are there- even if you are wearing yoga pants!
One of my favorite experiences which was new this time around was having lunch at Belle's castle in the Magic Kingdom. There's a part in the movie where they say "try the gray stuff, it's delicious!" And so for dessert I got the "Master's Cupcake" which is topped with "gray stuff."
Nowadays, being in line is almost as cool as the actual rides. My new favorite ride at Hollywood Studios is Toy Story and while waiting in line you see all sorts of larger than life toys like Lincoln Logs and a Barrel of Monkeys.
We went to Universal Studios which was not my favorite place. It is more like Great America. But Simpson's land was pretty cool.
Unfortunately, the Simpsons' ride did me in and made me very motion sick. So I was done with rides for the day. Mike, however, did a few more- including "rock it" which starts by having a completely vertical incline while you lay on your back. The part that mike loved was that you also got to pick your music that was blasted into your headrest as you go so he got to listen to Motley Crue's "Kickstart your heart" as he rode the rollercoaster.
Harry Potter world was sooooo much fun... if you are a Harry Potter fan. I'm not going to post many photos of that because I don't want to ruin it for anyone else who might be going.
This is Mike's first taste of butter beer. Delicious!
This is inside the castle- the stairway up to Dumbledore's office.
These are the Ron and Harry sweaters from Mrs. Weasley that you can buy in the gift shop for an exorbitant fee.
And this is the Three Broomsticks. While Mike does not look like he is having a great time- he did. It is simply that this photo was taken at the end of a very long day and minutes after he rode the Dragon ride twice in a row (with no wait) and is pretty close to throwing up as I took this pic! He never did throw up, but it took him a while to feel better.
Anyways, it was a fabulous trip. One of the things that surprised me was how religious Disney was. I don't know why that surprised me, but it did. For example, they often have characters out walking around at the parks, right? Well, in Mexico world at Epcot Center they had the Three Wise Men talking about going to see Jesus. And then at the holiday choir performance they sang songs like Silent Night instead of We Wish You a Merry Christmas.
Universal on the other hand is so different. Atheist. Disney is all about family and values. Universal is all about EXTREME and being wild.
Both were fun, mind you. Just noting the difference.
I'm already starting to plan our next trip back!




No comments:
Post a Comment