Wednesday, June 19, 2013

my journey


Today I started my Shiatsu 2 class. I really wasn't planning on taking it until next year but things kept drawing me towards it. As we went around the class and introduced ourselves two of the women made comments about how if a year ago someone said that they would be taking this class and thinking about taking the whole certification program for shiatsu, they would never have believed them. They were firmly rooted in corporate America. And now they feel like their journey has just begun. 

Which made me think about my journey. I've been a massage therapist for over ten years now. I knew that I wanted to be a massage therapist since I was 12 years old, I was drawn to it. Without even knowing exactly why. Sure, comfy clothes, low stress, no meetings- all that stuff sounded appealing. (And is!) But something about what I do speaks to my soul. Did I know it would? Or did I just luck out?

Though I may look the same and seem the same to an untrained eye, I am such a completely different person than I was 12 years ago. How I see the world and others and how I connect with the world have all radically changed. My soul is so much more at peace. And I know I am still just beginning to "get it." But I'm so thankful that I decided to take this journey. 

And so it is fun to see other people starting on their journeys. We may end up in completely different places- but watching people break out of their bubbles and experience new things and grow? Amazing! Parents and teachers, of course, get to see this all the time. 

It's one of those things that words will never do justice to and you will just sound hokey if you try which is why I usually don't. But today was a beautiful day and I'm happy I'm taking this class so I wanted to share. 

On a side note, I had a total "duh!" moment today. The teacher was drawing a flow chart on the board in the shape of a star. And I know that the shape is often referred to as a "pentagram" which I never understood because, yes, it has five sides, but it is most definitely a star. 


And then I realized that the shape the five lines make at the CENTER of the star is a, wait for it...  pentagram! 

It finally makes sense! 

Also, during our lunch break Michael offered some of his granola (oh you little hippie, can you be more stereotypical?!?!) to Joe who hadn't brought any food. 

And then Michael said something that I just loved. "It tastes better when you share."

Yes, it does.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment