Thursday, January 26, 2012

I'm engaged!!!!

I guess it's time I updated this blog, huh?

So my big news is that I am engaged! I'm a little nervous about the logistics of it- we currently need to cut our guest list in half! (wish me luck!) That's what happens when you have a girl with a huge family who marries a boy with a huge family. My mom's advice is to just not invite the families! She is still bitter because when she got married her mom controlled everything and she wasn't allowed to invite any of her friends. I'm sure we'll figure out some sort of compromise.

The only weird/awkward part of being engaged is that every girl says "oh, let's see the ring!" not realizing that I don't like rings, hate wearing them, can't wear it at work so the chance of me losing it is huge from taking it on and off all the time and, quite frankly, I think they are a ridiculous waste of money.

So I don't have a ring yet. I'll have to get something but it won't be a diamond. Mike and I were talking about it and how someday we will stumble upon it and it will be the one. Maybe we find it next month... maybe we find it in two years.

So I don't have a ring and I'm very fine with that. I think if the thing that you are most excited about in terms of getting married is the ring, then that isn't a good sign.

But yes, rings are very pretty, and I don't begrudge other people for being excited about theirs. It's just not my thing. And I just don't think it should be the most important thing. And I get why people ask... because it is the thing that is there and tangible. When you find out someone is getting engaged you can't say, "Show me the invites!" or "Show me your love!" so instead you say, "Show me the ring!"

My friend Carly is getting married this summer as well, in the Dominican Republic and she is thrilled because all she had to do was pick out a cake and a bouquet and the people at the resort provide and choose everything else. All she has to do is show up.

And her wedding is going to rock, because how could it not? You're on a beach in the Dominican Republic!

But doing a cookie cutter wedding is so not my style. My wedding will not be fancy. Even if I had the money to make it fancy, that is just not who Mike and I are.

So when Mike and I were discussing and he was asking what I was thinking about doing for the wedding and I described it for him, he said, "That sounds like a Half Acre party!" and I said, "Yes, now you get it! And you know why? Because people WANT to go to a Half Acre party! People don't want to go to a stuffy, awkward wedding."

So I'm planning on doing it July 28th unless something major comes up that makes me change my plans. That was the day my brother was planning on having his annual Kegs N Carnies party anyways. So while we won't be having the moon walk or dunk tank (I'm not against them, unfortunately there just won't be room) we will keep the same low-key and fun vibe of Kegs N Carnies.

There isn't much to tell about the proposal. We've been discussing it for some time now. He gets home before me on Monday nights so he set up the house with flowers and candles and romantic music and a fabulous meal and poured me a glass of wine and toasted me with a very sweet toast and then asked me to marry him.

He's just the best. And I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him. And every time I step into his arms I know I made the right decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment