Why do we find this funny?
The same goes when we see someone trip and fall down. Our first instinct is to laugh. Or to want to laugh. First we make sure that they are not seriously injured and then we do laugh. Why?
Is this something instinctual or is it something we are taught to find funny?
I know toddlers who can be amused for an hour straight by me pretending to fall down and hurt myself. They laugh and laugh and can't get enough. So is it just a natural reaction?
However, when children are young and fall down, all the grown ups around them try to make light of it by saying things like "boom! down you go!" or my favorite one is a coworker who would yell out "you're safe!" as if the kid had just done a slide in baseball. We do this so the child won't automatically start crying their head off. But is that teaching them that falling down is funny?
Am I the only person that comments? Is that annoying? I can stop. You ask really good questions though!
ReplyDeleteFor this one...we do the "boom" thing, but we're not usually laughing. So it's not teaching them that it's funny, we're just saying it calmly and matter-of-factly. So I don't think it comes from that.
Chuck says that it's funny because it's not you. I think maybe it's the element of surprise. Like you can scare babies and they laugh because they aren't expecting that. So if that volleyball guy had just passed the ball, that wouldn't be funny because that happens all game long. You watch people walk around all the time, but you only see people trip once in awhile. When something so totally unexpected happens, it's funny. And we're relieved it's not us.
Well, first of all, I only really told two people that I have a blog so I don't expect many other comments. And I LOVE your comments!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd we don't necessarily laugh, you are right, at the baby falling but we definitely make it seem like it is something fun.
It is funny when someone falls because it is unexpected?? So are you saying that when you used to watch me play soccer my freshman year that it wasn't funny when I fell because it was expected? Cuz I fell all the time, and yet I clearly remember you still laughing your head off.
But I kept expecting it to stop! I kept thinking - some day she'll get through a practice or a game without tripping over her cleats. But then it just kept happening! Surprise - Nikki fell! Ha Ha Ha.
ReplyDeleteWho's the other mysterday reader? Make yourself known!
He is me...David it be
ReplyDelete