Friday, March 27, 2009
anecdote #1
So I was walking down Michigan Avenue yesterday at rush hour. The sidewalk in front of the Water Tower was extremely crowded. I was trying to navigate my way through when I made the mistake of looking up and making eye contact with a young woman. She was probably around 18 years old and she was obviously selling something. She had a pile of papers in her hand. She saw me approach and tried to wave me down. I just sort of shook my head no. She asked me "Are you Jewish?" Which I am pretty sure had something to do with what she was selling, not just a random question. Without even slowing down, I responded, "No," and kept walking. Annoyed with my rudeness she retorted, "Good!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Eye contact is such an iffy thing in the city. I can be rocking out in a great mood and smile at someone and it goes ok, or yesterday a guy told me "You look like a little girl." Um. . . I don't even know how to respond to that. I hate to keep my head down but, sometimes it's for everyone's benefit. :-)
ReplyDeletep.s. That's my arm in your photo! Woohoo! I'm a celebrity!
ReplyDeleteit is your arm! you can tell by the missing wedding ring! heehee! :) I thought about leaving you in the photo but thought you might get a little creeped out about having your photo be in the header of my blog.
ReplyDeletea "little girl"?? really? gotta love the crazies. I was all prepared to pretend to only speak French if the crazy guy on the el next to me tonight tried to talk to me. luckily he was too busy talking to his back pack.