Friday, March 27, 2009

To blog or not to blog...

A friend asked me a few weeks ago why I didn't have a blog. My first reaction was "who would want to read my blog?" I can be a bit vain (although I prefer to call it "having very healthy self esteem") at times but I had no delusions that my friends and family were dying to read about my every random thought. 

Why do people write blogs? Most of the people I know that have blogs, do it to keep their extended families updated about their young children. 

I don't have young children. I don't have far away family that needs to be updated on my doings. I don't have a glamourous life that people want details about. 

And so I was very hesitant to write a blog. 

But then I started looking around and seeing people who, like me, were just writing about their single life. Blogging about their jobs and their day to day experiences. And I discovered that I liked reading their blogs. There was nothing in their blogs that was mind blowing or particularly fascinating and yet I enjoyed it. I just like learning more about people. I am guessing that other people feel the same way or things like Facebook wouldn't be so popular. 

I started off by only telling two of my best friends that I was writing a blog. I knew they would be supportive and I tell them everything about my life anyways. But I decided that was cheating. If I am going to do a blog (and be able to check it off my "things to do before I die" list) then I had to do it right. So I posted the link on my Facebook page. Most people I am sure will not notice it, or will have no desire to check it out. But it opens the possibility that hundreds more people COULD be reading this. 

Will my writing change knowing that other people could be reading this? I hope not. I'd like to think that I can keep it as honest and open as though only my best friends were reading it. 

On a side note, at a recently family party one of my aunt's came up to me and said that she really enjoyed my letter. What letter? I hadn't written her a letter. Apparently my grandma likes to share the letters that I write her with other people! My first feeling when I heard this was betrayal! Those letters were for Grandma's eyes only! And then I realized that anything that I would possibly write to my Grandma is something that I would probably not mind the whole world knowing about. Still, it was a reminder that once we put information out there, we can't control what happens to it. Perhaps that is a good lesson for a beginning blogger like myself to remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment