Wednesday, January 25, 2023

A New Year with Nikki! 2023 - Hooray for change!

 Happy New Year! It's the year of the rabbit according to Chinese astrology. Most people know, because of the menus at Chinese restaurants,  that the Chinese divide people into different animals depending on what year you were born. I am a goat/sheep. However, when doing your horoscope they also look at the day, month and even hour you were born. 

They make some generalizations for the coming year- still going to be political upheaval and a huge wealth gap between the rich and poor, climate change will be happening. But it's not supposed to be a terrible year for me overall according to my particular horoscope. 

They say that there is going to be a lot of change for me and I should just embrace the change. So that is my motto for this year- embrace the change! 

I already had to say goodbye to one of my longtime clients who I've been seeing for over 15 years. She moved out of state and sold her house and who knows if I will ever see her again. 

Mike's job is going to get crazy again and I won't be seeing much of him when that starts. That is not a change I am looking forward to.

We pooled our Amazon gift cards together and finally bought the Meta Occulus virtual reality headset. I can't tell you how many times I have laughed with joy while using this thing. The workouts that I am doing are effective- but more importantly, they are so fun that I look forward to doing the next one. This is a change that I am all about embracing! 

The other thing I am supposed to focus on this year is doing small gestures to connect with friends and extended family. That's actually one of the things that brings me happiness so that's no problem. I was on the fence about whether or not to send out a valentine's day card this year but then I heard this part about my horoscope and decided it was a sign that I should indeed do it. The recipients of my vday card are definitely more selective than my Christmas card. For Christmas I will send it to anyone I like, whether we have talked to each other in the last fifteen years or not. I often wonder if they get it and are like "Why the hell does she keep sending me cards???" For vday cards it has to be someone who makes a reciprocal effort in my direction. To figure out how many to order I started looking through my facebook friends list (even though a bunch of my friends aren't on facebook) and that was a mistake. It bummed me out to see how many people I no longer talk to (mostly through laziness and drifting apart, not through malice) or who have died. On the other hand, it was pretty amazing to see how many awesome people I have in my life, so there is that. 

So here we go, embracing the change. When we hear "change" I think we often, or at least I do, get worried because I assume it is going to be bad change. But maybe it will be awesome change? Maybe it will be the finally lose the weight I want change? The get things done change? The move into an awesome house change? The have a child that actually listens change? (Side note: Teddy acts crazy every night before bed. Every night. I know it is not unusual for a child to do that. But last night he went and peed and brushed his teeth and did everything to get ready really quickly and without fuss and then laughed hysterically about it like it was some funny joke that he just pulled. To him the joke was that he was actually doing what he was supposed to do because we would never expect that. The kid may be a pain in the butt but he is amusing.)


No comments:

Post a Comment