Sunday, November 11, 2018
Becoming An Adult
I'm back.
To say it's been a while is a bit of an understatement. Last time I posted I was pregnant and now I have a two and a half year old! Things have obviously changed a lot for me but that's not what this post is about. This post is about becoming an adult.
When do you really become an adult? I think it's different for each person. For some it's when they graduate college, or get their first job, live on their own for the first time, pay their own bills, buy their first car or house, get married, have a child, or have their parents die.
I've done a lot of those things and still didn't feel like an adult. I felt like I was "faking it." Or that the whole thing is just a big lie and you never really feel like an adult.
But I've changed my mind. Today is my first day as an adult because I DECIDED that I am now officially an adult. It only took 39 years.
Obviously it is just a mental shift but I also cleaned my back stairs.
What? How is that related? I've been meaning to wash my back stairs since I moved into my apartment. But when I moved in here I was six months pregnant and it just wasn't going to happen. I'm the only person who goes down the treacherously steep back stairs (once or twice a week to do the laundry) so it wasn't a pressing issue but it always bothered me just a little bit.
These are the dirty before pictures:
I can give you excuses but I just didn't wash them. And didn't wash them. And didn't wash them. And it hung over my head bothering me just a little tiny bit all the time.
Basically the stairs were the physical representation of my laziness and lack of motivation and inability to control my own life.
But I washed them today. Why? Because I'm an adult.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment