I survived another semester! Um... school is really hard and it makes me a raving psycho. Mike tells me that I'm not really that bad, but I think he is just lying to me because he is scared of me because I am a raving psycho. He also won't listen to me complain about how hard school is because I keep getting A's.
I never used to care about grades. What the hell has happened to me? In college all I cared about was getting good enough grades so that I could continue playing soccer. Now I feel this compulsive need to get A's. (And technically I don't think that writing A's is grammatically correct but if I write As it just looks weird. So there you go.) Anywho, I think maybe one of the main differences is that if I messed up speaking French (my college major) nobody got hurt. However, if I mess up sticking someone with needles, that could get hurt so I better study my ass off and make sure I know what I am doing.
The next few paragraphs are not for the squeamish...
Speaking of getting hurt, we had to needle points around the eye ball the other day. (Don't worry, nobody actually got hurt.) It was the last week of classes, we built up to it and saved it til the end when we were more experienced. But basically the two we did were Stomach 2 and Urinary Bladder 1. Stomach 2 is directly under the eye just below the bone of the eye socket (Stomach 1 is actually even closer to the eye ball but thankfully she didn't make us do that one!) And you pinch up the skin and slide the needle in so that the needle lays flat against the person's (closed) eyelids. That one wasn't actually too bad, but it is really easy to give someone a black eye while doing it, and of course the red head with the fairest skin asked me to be her partner that day. I was sure I was going to give her a shiner, but actually did it just fine!
The second point was a lot more freaky. So you know the pink part of the inside of your eye? That is called your inner canthus and there is a spot directly above it. And you stick the needle in going directly into the head. You actually have the person close their eyes and you take a finger and hold their eyeball out of the way so that you don't accidentally needle it. Yup.
So my partner sticks the needle in just a smidge because we are both super nervous. Then the teacher, an old fearless Chinese lady, comes over and says, "Good job, but you can stick it in much further." And the teacher inserted it another half inch or so. And it didn't hurt but I was super freaking out because I could feel a metal needle touching the side of my eyeball!!!!!!!
It was fine but I swore to never have that point needled again!
So the next week during our final we got assigned partners instead of being able to pick them ourselves. So I got stuck with a woman who is very sweet, but definitely not the best needler in the class. And she did all the points on the body just fine but she got to the face points and I asked her which points she was going to needle so I could prepare myself. She said, "Gall Bladder 2 and Urinary Bladder 2." Which was fine, because those aren't scary points....
And then she starts pinching up the skin under my eye to needle Stomach 2 and I said, "Nope, wrong point." Now, normally I wouldn't cheat and I would let them needle the point and just get it wrong and have points taken off... but I'm not about to let someone needle near my eye if I don't have to, especially when they aren't particularly good at it!
So then she goes, "Oh right!" and starts putting her finger on my eyeball to move it out of the way, which meant that she was going to needle a different wrong point! I believe I said, "Hell no! You're not needling there." She eventually figured out what the point was that she was supposed to needle.
And yes, having incompetent people needle you IS the scariest part of going to acupuncture school!
I've been fairly burnt out, so to motivate myself to get good grades, I bribed myself with eyelash extensions. There was a groupon for them that I could only buy if I got straight A's. I've wanted to try them for years and finally did.
So I am waiting in the reception area and this girl comes out with stunning lashes and is super happy with them and can't stop staring at them in the mirror there. And then the worker takes me into the back room and she starts working on me. You lay down on a massage table and they put this patch under your eyes that glues your eyes shut. Which was weird at first but you quickly get used to it and wasn't that bad because I knew that if I really tried I would have been able to open them which helped me get over the claustrophobic feeling.
So the woman says to me, "Your lashes are really thin and fine." And I replied, "I know, that's why I'm here." Duh. But she continued, "I just want you to realize that you aren't going to end up with lashes that look like the girl's who just left. Her lashes were really thick to begin with." Which was super disappointing but actually made me feel a little better. I always just thought I was terrible at applying mascara because I could never get the look my friends did, turns out though that my lashes just suck.
I'm still super happy with the results though. Unfortunately it is really expensive so I won't be able to do it often, but for big special occasions I will probably splurge again.
This is me with no make-up.
This is me with mascara and my lashes curled.
And this is me with the eye lash extensions! Awesome because it also involves no work at all on my part. Just wake up and go and doesn't smudge or smear!
No comments:
Post a Comment