I love looking back and finding things that I have written years ago. I also miss writing in notebooks. I think I do my best writing in notebooks. They always say that if you are having trouble writing that you should just start and see where it goes. You don't have to have a storyline all plotted out. Anyways, this amused me so I thought I would share... (And I am going to resist the urge to edit it right now.)
She sat there with her pen in hand. Trying to decide what to write. She always veered towards fantasy stories about magic or strange alternate dimensions. Her own life never seemed "brilliant" enough to write about.
Yes, she could see it now. The storyline would go a little something like this...
Girl, aged 25, moderately attractive. Moderately attractive? What's that? Sounds to vain and overreaching to write "she's hot"?? But you want people to know that she's not bad looking. I mean, when describing her people wouldn't just say "Oh yeah, Nikki, she's really nice." I mean, she's better looking that that.
Not that there's anything wrong with being nice. I'm nice. No, I'm not. Who am I kidding?
Where was I? Oh yes, my character description... girl, aged 25, moderately attractive. At times nice (that's my glass-is-half-full way of saying sometimes bitchy.) Who apparently can't keep a straight train of thought going for more than two sentences.
Storyline... gets up, works out (sometimes), goes to work, hangs out with friends. Riveting. Yes, I can see that captivating the hearts of audiences worldwide.
So instead I write fantasy stories. And not fantasy stories about me either- but about teenagers. Why? Do I have some sadistic wish to relive my teenage years?
Or is it that teenagers make for more interesting characters because of their willingness to make such rash decisions? I mean, think about some of those plots... ooh, a door opens to another world, what will my character do? Will she rush right in? It's not much of a story if she doesn't. But would I rush through a door to another world? Let's think about this one... How long will I be gone? What if I get fired? Who will pay my rent, my bills? What's the weather like there? I should bring some clean underwear? What kind of story would that make? She stumbles across a strange portal to a magic world... she starts to stem through and then decides... I better go pack a bag. Cuz let's face it- I can't even go out to the bar without my big purse. Who knows when I'll need my chapstick or tampon or lotion or gum or toothpicks- yes, that's right, I even carry toothpicks from time to time.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this! And it's so true, about how we "grow up" and lose our "fun" somewhat. But really truly, I bet you could take ONE DAY of your life, and write it out, use your details cause that's where the magic lies, and it would sound interesting and everyone who reads it would want to know more about you. :) We should do that for fun. I know that my life totally out bores yours by 1500 miles, but if we break it down and share the details, suddenly the black and white picture is full of texture, depth and color.
ReplyDelete<3 XOXOXOX