I just was reading about the Afghan girl from National Geographic.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2002/04/afghan-girl/index-text
And it made me think (again) about how easy my life is. I mean, I can find things to complain about in my life, but my life is soooo easy.
My mom has cancer... but she has easy access to top notch medical treatments.
My shoulders hurt... from playing volleyball... not from working in the fields all day.
I weigh more than I would like... because I have access to all the food in the world that I could possibly want and money to pay for it.
My little apartment won't hold all my stuff... where to start with this one... my warm, comfortable, with running water, electricity, plumbing, heat and air conditioning that does not have vermin in it, apartment does not have room to hold my oodles and oodles of useless stuff that I have simply to pamper myself, not things that I need to survive. Boo hoo.
The girl in the story is sad because she never got an education. She doesn't know how to read or write. Reading and writing are probably my favorite activities in the entire world. I honestly can't even wrap my head around what life would be like if I couldn't read. Sure, some of us are better or faster readers than others... but to not be able to do it at all??
And the girl in the story is not allowed to even look, let alone smile, at a man that is not her husband. I think of all the wonderful interactions I have with men, that are not Michael, and how sad if I couldn't talk to them and joke around with them.
This stuff is really still going on in the world today.
Thank you, Universe, for this easy life. I will take full advantage of it as my way of thanking you.
It's true. I know I already told you about our neighbors, who came from a horribly poor part of the phillipenes where the women's greatest wish is for an American man to marry them- this came straight from the horses mouth. We are SO rich and SO spoiled here, which is how we end up screwing ourselves in the end by not (as a whole) caring for our resources and abusing our "power" etc. But the beauty is in the each of us who understand and appreciate and give, because we are so abundant. Thanks for being awesome!
ReplyDelete