So why is it that some of us are morning people and some of us are night owls?
And why is it that the world is totally geared towards morning people? That doesn't seem fair. I mean, I don't mind it. But if people told me that I had to stay up late to work on stuff, I would tell them to go bite themselves.
And night owls get a rep for being lazy but really they do the same exact amount of work, just at different hours.
What I was really thinking about today is how do you make a relationship work when one of you is a morning person and one is a night owl? I've tried it and it DIDN'T work very well. In fact, I think that was one of the things that led to our downfall.
This morning Mike's alarm didn't go off and I rolled over and looked at the clock and said, "Um, aren't you supposed to be awake by now?" Yup. And then I got to see him wander about confusedly for the rest of the morning. He apparently really NEEDS to snooze a few times before waking and when he doesn't get his snoozes he is very out of it. It was actually rather amusing.
When we are looking for someone to date we think of so many things that we are looking for... personality, looks, humor, cooking ability :) and so forth. Compatible sleeping schedules is not usually on the list, but maybe it should be. If Mike's snoozing bothered me, I would wake up grumpy EVERY morning. Luckily it doesn't. If he stayed up til 2 in the morning and woke up at 9 AM, I would never get to see him.
It's one of those things that couples CAN work around. Definitely not a deal breaker for most people. But it's even better when it's a non-issue!
In my situation it's not so much about morning vs night, it's about how many hours each of us needs. I just need more hours than my husband, plain and simple. We've come to understand that about each other. We go to bed roughly at the same time, and he wakes up earlier. We've also figured out that I'm more okay with being woken up in the middle of the night than he is, so I get up with the kids in the night, and he gets up with them in the morning. Works well.
ReplyDelete