Why a movie? Because I don't have TV.
One of my favorite movies is the most recent Star Trek film. I probably watch it once every two months.
Since today is supposed to be a super productive day for me, I felt guilty about watching the movie.
My solution was to put on the French subtitles. And I actually read along with the movie. It makes me wonder how much better my French would be if I had been doing this all along. I jokingly asked on Facebook if that could be counted as an intellectual activity but it really is. Because I am learning how to properly translate French.
My problem with speaking French is that I just try to say the exact same thing that I would say in English and translate each word into French. It doesn't work that way. The result is that I speak broken French. You know how immigrants in America use improper words and verb tenses all the time? "I am eat my food tomorrow." That's what I imagine I sound like in French.
But the subtitle thing is great because you can see a normal English sentence and then see how you would ACTUALLY say it in French.
I'm not going to lie. My brain is a little bit tired after doing that for twenty minutes. But what an enjoyable way to learn rather than reading Proust or Baudelaire!
No comments:
Post a Comment