Friday, October 9, 2009

paths to follow

As much as I claim not to have been impressed by the book Siddhartha, there are parts of it that have stuck with me weeks later. Isn't that the sign of a good book?


The most insightful thing that I've learned was that everyone has to follow their own path and you can't choose it for them, even if you don't think it is the right path.

That's an easy thing to say, but a hard thing to put into practice.

Especially when you see people making what you think are huge mistakes. Sure, you can give them your opinions and advice but when it comes down to it, they sometimes need to learn things the hard way. It's their life. And people aren't going to live the lives that YOU think they should live, they are going to live the lives that they want to live.

I just want to say thanks to my parents for letting me be me. Sure they forced me to do some stuff like take piano lessons and play on the soccer team even when I hated the girls on the team, but they also let me be me.

I have a friend who asked me what I would do differently from my parents when I raise kids. I'm sure there are things I would do differently, but I hope to be as accepting as my parents were. Of course, maybe I was just their sixth kid and they had given up! :)

1 comment: