Saturday, January 24, 2015

family privilege

So I just got a massage... in my apartment. That is friggin' awesome. I've had massages before but never IN my apartment where I get to just roll over and go to bed afterwards. I decided I needed a massage because it's been months since my last one and I have to give a massage to a new client tomorrow so it's always good to have a refresher. Plus they just feel nice. So nice.

But my therapist was a woman I used to work with at the spa and we were catching up and she told me that our other former coworker's mother had passed away. I didn't always get along that great with the other coworker, I mean, no big fights or anything but we didn't really click so I usually just kept my distance from her. But I just found out that her mom and dad had divorced when she was really little and she doesn't really talk to her mom/ get along with her. But she was talking to her dad on the phone and he just casually mentioned that her mom was dead. It had happened three weeks prior and nobody had bothered to tell her.

Just let that soak in.

Can you even imagine?

I can't. I really can't. My family is weird and nerdy and we certainly have our issues, but I am so lucky to have them. And I just feel bad. It just goes to show that you have no idea what other people are going through. My coworker could not have had a very easy life and I should have cut her more slack.

You hear about "white privilege" a lot and it is certainly true. But I also definitely have "supportive and loving family privilege." There are so many things that I take for granted because of the way I was raised. I used to be mad because I didn't get tons of hugs and kisses and "I love yous" when I was growing up. But I had a dad that came home from work early to coach my soccer team. I had a mom that made sure I did my homework. I had siblings that were always there to play cards or a board game with me. And I know I can count on all of them thru thick and thin.

I dunno, just another reminder to be thankful for what I have and to be kind to others no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment